Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wake Up Call for Authors Whose Sales Are Down -- Bookfind.co Is Pirating Your Books

Here's a wake up call for all you authors whose sales are down. Check www.bookfind.co to see if any of your books, like mine, have been pirated.

I just found several copied right off of Smashwords, but available in their entirety from this website. We're not talking about a website that is legitimate. There is no contact information, other than an address -- bookfind.co@gmail.com.

Here's the problem. The claim is that this website is a search engine for books. It's not. It's all about pirating the material, without allowing the author to know about it. Check out the site and then do a search about it. It actually mimics a number of more reputable sites. It also warns authors that they can request the material be removed, but it will cut down on their visibility as authors. Poppycock!

For the last several months, I have seen my profits fall. I knew it made no sense, since I have more published works now than I did when I was making money. Is this where my profits are going? Am I feeding the folks at bookfind.co? I'm the one doing the work. I'm the one holding the copyright. When I disperse my books through legitimate sources, they are accountable, not only to me, but also to the readers.

When readers download material, they expect it to be virus- and malware-free. Retailers, even those who offer free books, do right by their customers. Can you really trust bookfind.co to have your back?

For every reader in search of free material, do yourselves a favor -- use a reputable retailer or publisher, use a library, use a service that isn't hiding behind the promise of "free". You will be a lot safer as a result.

As for you authors, go to the website and check to see if your rights have been violated in this manner. You may find that that book you wrote that stopped selling is a victim of this scam.

And for all you "entrepreneurs" out there, who think it's okay to pirated copyrighted material, I've got a little surprise for you. Look behind you. You're not as safe as you think. You may assume you're getting away with this crap, but I've got news for you. Every time you pick up a file, think hard. "Is this the day I get caught?" You see, it's so much that law enforcement is going to put you out of business. It's the aftermath you have to worry about. The pen is always mightier than the sword, and there is no greater wrath that can be found than in disgruntled authors who have had their profits hijacked by a sleazebag with a website. With that many "free" books pirated from different legitimate sources, you're not some Robin Hood out to provide the world with "free"books. You're a thief who has stolen from people who have busted their butts to craft their stories. You're no hero, pal. You're just a creep with a computer.

1 comment: